If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Marble Butter Cake 云石奶油蛋糕~喜气羊羊 2015

I love butter cake, especially love it when mix with some chocolate, like this marble butter cake. I have a habit to enjoy butter cake for breakfast before I started to cook big meals on CNY eve day. Last time I use to buy from pasar pagi (morning wet market) during CNY. But now I can bake this cake anytime ^_^.


 
 
I still use back my old butter cake recipe this time, but I didn't using egg separation method as I was rushing for last minutes CNY baking cookies. 


 
I just baked like normal butter cake by adding whole egg . But i still want the same texture like using egg separation method. So I extended the beating time after adding all egg, as to beaten up the egg. Also i reduced a bit of the oven  temperature and watched out for the perfect timing before the cake getting cracked . My hubby told me this cake is simply perfect at right sweetness, light and not greasy. I also agreed with him, we just love it!


Marble Butter Cake 云石奶油蛋糕
*for a 8” cake 

250g butter (salted)
180g caster sugar
4 eggs (large or A)
1tsp vanilla extra
230g cake flour, sifted
1 and 1/2tsp baking powder, sifted
4tbsp milk

1tbsp cocoa powder + 1/2tsp coffee powder + 2tbsp milk – mix together 

Method

  1. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
  2. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. After well combine, slightly increase speed and beat for 1min till fluffy.
  3. Add the flour and baking powder (sifted together) and beat well to combine, fold milk alternately and combine well.
  4. Remove 250g of plain batter and place in another clean mixing bowl, mix well with cocoa mixture.
  5. Spoon the two batters, plain and chocolate batter, alternately into the cake tin (lined base and sides). Using a butter knife, gently swirl it around the mixture in the tin a few times to create a marbled effect. Tap the tin to remove any air bubbles.
  6.  Bake at preheated oven at 170c for 50-55mins or until a skewer insert and come out clean. 

Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all who celebrate Chinese New Year a wonderful celebration and Gong Xi Fa Cai  喜气羊羊 , 羊羊得意 !!

39 comments:

mui mui said...

Hi Ah chi,
My mum and fil super love butter cake like yours too. I don't know when I started to love butter cake too.
I was wondering, do people starts to love and appreciate butter cake when they getting old... lol

All the best to you in the Goat year.
祝你“才华洋溢,羊名四海”
mui

mis chucherias said...

Delicious!!! I love this cake

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia,

Happy Chinese New year to you!

definitely will try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Happy Lunar New Year to you and your family!!!

rachel said...

Hi Sonia,
祝愿妳新年快乐,吉祥如意

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Ah Chi! Dropping by to wish you and your loved ones a very happy and prosperous year! Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, baking your own is definitely better than buying from 'pasar pagi'. Looking at the photos, I fully agree with your hubby's comment. Must try this one day. GONG XI FAI CAI to you and family.

Angelic Heart~ said...

很漂亮的奶油蛋糕,纹路很美~
新年快乐哦!

lena said...

hi sonia, i have not been blogging much these days, just coming over to wish you a very happy chinese new year! gong xi fa cai!

PH said...

Sonia, Keong Hee Huat Chye! Love your marble butter cake. Regretted that I did not bake this for CNY.

Unknown said...

Happy Chinese new Year. I also not baking batter cake this year, was too busy. Must try out your recipe, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sonia,

Wishing you & family Gong Xi Fa Cai 恭賀新禧, 萬事如意, 新年喜洋洋!

I baked this cake on 1st day of CNY & turned out very nice. Just like store bought. Great recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Georgina.

Gloria Fernandes said...

Looks soft and moist...Love the marbe effect.

Jozelyn Ng said...

Hi, Sonia! Gong Xi Fa Cai & Happy Goat Year!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, I don't know why my cake the top is so moist-damp. The internal (body) of the cake is ok. Hope you can give me some advice. Thanks. Wishing you and your family a Happy Chinese New Year

DG said...

Sonia, I love your beautiful marble cake. I wish you and your family a happy & prosperous year :)

Sem said...

Sonia, I baked this marble butter cake after so long not baking one.I have to say it is a very good butter cake recipe. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year to you and your family.

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, Happy Lunar New Year! I always love Butter Cake especially the old fashion type. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I will definitely try this recipe.

Choi Yen said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai Sonia & family~
I love the aromatic butter fragrance of this type of butter cake!

Unknown said...

特地进来跟你说新年快乐,洋洋得意,要咩有咩~ huat arrrrr

蓝蓝的天空 said...

My fav!

sc said...

Hi Sonia, I love this cake and baked it twice. The interior of cake is cooked but has a soggy texture. It is not dry like yours. I used plain flour instead of cake flour. Can u please how to achieve the dry texture? Thank you very much. Siew chern

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sc, please try to use cake flour instead, you can taste the difference as the cake texture will be more fine than using plain flour. I suspect the centre of the cake is not cook enough, maybe you can extend extra 5 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia

I can just use a normal 8" pan? No need to use removable pan base? Thank you! Min

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Min, yes you can, just lined paper on bottom and the sides.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, can I use a 9 inch round tin removable for this butter cake recipe pls? Or can you guide me how to convert into a 6 inch round tin? Thanks much! Rachel

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Rachel, My recipe is using 8" cake pan and using 4 large eggs. So you can use all ingredients divide by 4. Then for a 9" cake pan, multiply per unit with 5 eggs, and for 6", multiply with 2 eggs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia. I was really excited to try this recipe for Father's Day, but it came out flat, did not rise at all, and the sides were very hard and crunchy. It was very oily too. Nothing at all like your pictures :/ I did everything your recipe said...
Olivia

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Can I know do I need to turn the butter cake upside down for it to cool down?

Minty

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Minty, don't need to upside down

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, if I omit the coffee powder, do I need to add more cocoa powder? Thanks.
Carol

Anonymous said...

hi
may I just butter and flour the tin instead linig paper?
thanks
maymay

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Carol, no dont need

Maymay, yes you can.

Anonymous said...

hi
is it total 6 tbsp. of milk?

Anonymous said...

The best cake ever! It was so moist and tasty. Will be making it again for sure. Thank you for the recipe. I have made few of your cakes and never once failed. You are way too good.

Fid said...

Thank you very much for the recipe. Very traditional (old fashioned) taste. Baked 4 of them for hari raya. Everyone loves it

not shi yun said...

Hello, I just tried this recipe. The batter tasted really good, but I'm curious of why my cake splitted in the middle? Any clue?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Deon, your oven temp is high i supposed.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe. Cake split in the middle too which is probably due to oven being too hot. Tasted really good.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin