I use back my favourite basic chocolate sponge cake recipe to make into this plain sponge cake for a fruity cake. I just love this sponge cake recipe, soft and spongy!
after removed from the oven
no major shrinkage once cooled..
Easy to remove from the pan also, i even just use bare hands to remove the bottom..
Basic Plain Sponge Cake
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*make a 7” round cake (with removable bottom cake pan)
4 egg yolks (large)
20g caster sugar
50g corn oil
1/2tsp vanilla extract ( I use Cointreau )
90g cake flour
4 egg white (large)
1/4tsp lemon juices or 1/4tsp cream of tartar
60g caster sugar
1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar.
2. Add in corn oil and milk, stir to combine.
3. Add in cake flour, mix well, set aside.
4. Add lemon juices into egg white, beat till foamy.
5. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks (十分发 / 硬性发泡)~ (hand mixer speed 3 takes about 5mins)
6. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
7. Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture, combine well.
8. Pour batter into the pan (don’t need to line with paper but you can also line paper but use normal baking paper, also don't use a non-stick pan), bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25mins (at lower rack), then increase to 170C (at lower rack) and continue to bake for 30mins.