My Malay friend taught me how to cook this Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken), and usually I prefer creamy (more gravy) type of Ayam Rendang, thus usually I don't add kerisik (toasted coconut)...
These herbs/ingredients are must have items in cooking a good Rendang..
After mix all blended ingredients and chicken, in cooking process..
The background are those ketupat palas parcels (palm leaves) that i bought from wet market and to fill the parcels with glutinous rice and cook it, this is best to serve with Rendang.
Ayam Rendang (Rendang chicken)
(source: originated by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
1.5kg chicken, chopped into bite size
5 cloves garlic
2 big onions
1” galangal /lengkuas (blue ginger)
2 lemongrass, cut small pieces
5 buah keras (candlenuts)
1” fresh turmeric
2tbsp chili paste
1 asam keeping (tamarind peel)
150ml thick coconut milk
1 turmeric leaf, finely shredded
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into few pieces
2 lemongrass, bruised
5tbsp cooking oil
2tsp salt or to taste
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar or taste
1. Blend all blend ingredients with few tbsp of water till fine paste, set aside
2. Heat oil in a heavy pan, add in blended paste, sauté till fragrant.
3. Add in chili paste, continue stir fry for 15mins.
4. Add in chicken, tamarind peel, turmeric leaf, kaffir lime leaf and bruised lemon grass, stir to mix well, cook for 5mins.
5. Add in water, continue to simmer for 20-25mins, stir from time to time.
6. Season with salt and sugar, mix in coconut milk, continue to cook for another 5mins.
7. Serve hot with rice or ketupat pulut palas (glutinous rice).
Happy Cooking !!
Selamat Hari Raya Haji...