If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Attended a Malay Wedding

Just like to share with you few photos taken when I attended a Malay wedding recently.

Extracted from wikipedia-

Bersanding
The bersanding (enthronement) ceremony begins with the groom's procession with friends, relatives, musicians and people waving bunga manggar (palm blossom) to meet the bride. Often various good-humoured attempts are made to waylay or stop the groom from getting to the bride. The main part of the bersanding involves the seating of the bridal couple on a dais and sprinkling them with yellow rice and scented water by family members, relatives and guests as a sign of blessing. Each guest will receive a bunga telur (egg flower), a decorated egg with a fabric flower, as a sign of fertility. The couple are considered royalty for the day, and so various royal customs are performed for them, including musicians playing court music and 'bodyguards' performing a display of pencak silat (traditional Malay martial arts).



performing "Silat" for the groom..



bunga manggar(palm blossom)




Each guest will be given a Bunga telur (egg flower). The egg is cooked with some traditional herbs, something similar to Chinese' s "Car Yeh Tan".

You will be served with some Malay foods and traditional cakes(kueh-muih), one of the dish that I like to eat is Fragrant fried chicken with lemongrass & spices.


This is the sitting area specially set up for groom and bride, with very nice decoration.








see this lovely couple..

34 comments:

Nina said...

What a beautiful wedding and such a gorgeous bride! love the dress....and the first photo!

VineelaSiva said...

Wow the decoration and everything looks very beautiful.

Jen Cheung said...

wow! this is interesting because never knew how a malay wedding is. now i look. love the decor !! and bride and groom looks great!

have a nice weekend!

jen

chow and chatter said...

wow beautiful wedding and love the customs, Sonia would you ever consider being a guest on my radio show to talk about Malay culture and food or doing a guest post
email me

rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com

Bakeling said...

Selamat Tahniah kepada kedua-dua pengantin itu !

WendyinKK said...

I love that turtle on top of that pulut!!

Tangled Noodle said...

Gorgeous wedding! This is the first I've really seen photos or read any details about Malay nuptials. It all looks so wonderfully sumptuous!

Bo said...

That was a very pretty wedding.

MaryMoh said...

Wow....what a beautiful wedding!! I wish I have a chance to witness one! Malay weddings are always so well planned and beautiful.

温馨小屋 said...

all pink color look very sweet....
1st time i saw got rendang chicken on the top of the cake~~!!! it's so funny.....

Unknown said...

I hv never attended one, hope I have the chance also

the lacquer spoon said...

Very interesting to see such a traditional wedding!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never seen a traditional one...looks very beautiful.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

The pink colour is very sweet...

pigpigscorner said...

I love Malay weddings, so pretty and there's always a lot of yummy food!

ICook4Fun said...

The lasst time I've been a Malay wedding was over 17 years ago. I especially like the kampong style where all the folks busy preparing and cooking for the wedding.

Anonymous said...

The wedding is grand and nice, I've never been to a Malay friend's wedding yet.. haha

Hearty Bakes said...

Love the pink setting for the wedding.Thanks for sharing all those beautiful shots.

GayathriRaj said...

Thats a fabulous one...loved the wedding and those traditions....

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

I grew up with my Malay nanny and used to attend Malay weddings some of them in kampungs that no longer exist today. I was told I was quite good at singing the songs welcoming the bridal pair to their throne...

One of my earliest memories was also of the hard-boiled egg that I was given. I kept it preciously not knowing that it would rot as a result. It was a horror and I was a very unhappy child.

Ah, this post brings back some of those long-gone memories. I have not attended a Malay wedding since I moved back to live with my parents.

Wendy said...

wow, I think this is the most beautiful Malay wedding I have ever seen!

chow and chatter said...

hi Sonia I have emailed you a picture of my oven to answer your question lol

Bakericious said...

such a beautiful wedding and I love the pink setting :)

Pete said...

Wow, beautiful. Congrats to the bride and bridegroom!

My Little Things Corner said...

Raja Sehari...so sweet, congrats to them...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for stopping by.

Rebecca, I will email to you later about your suggestion, and Thanks so much for your quick response to my question. Appreciate much!

hjn said...

SOOO Beautiful...Thanks for sharing!

Suhaina said...

wow, i have seen the groom going for the wedding, but not seen all of these. looks so good.

FC88 said...

I have never seen a Malay's wedding. It is nice to learn the Malay's custom. Thanks for sharing!

Colin Woon said...

I have never attended a Malay's wedding before. Thanks for the eye opening photos!

Unknown said...

I haven’t been to a Malay wedding before, but it seems like they have a very rich culture. There are dancing and flower offerings which all symbolizes something for the bride and groom. The wedding’s set-up is lovely and the food looks sumptuous too. It really looks like they were treated like royalty!

Roslyn Housel

Unknown said...

Malay weddings are beautiful! I especially like the first photo of the bride and the groom. They sure look like a royal couple! like the design of the reception as well.

Lavonne Seaton

Anonymous said...

I believed that is 'pulut kuning' or sticky rice shaped like cake & ayam golek.. :)

MrJinn said...

温馨小屋 said...
all pink color look very sweet....
1st time i saw got rendang chicken on the top of the cake~~!!! it's so funny.....

we call it "pulut kuning" not a cake since we done bake it in the oven ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin